Friday, June 6, 2008

Back at the School Site

Loidi-(How's it going?)
After my adventures in Juba and Kolyngang I've safely made it back to Lanya County and the school site. A was welcomed by a wonderful surprise: a wireless satelitte dish. Yes, I'm connected to the 21st century. I found out the KG and the Celts have made it to the finals , thankfully Hillary has decided to retreat and I have a manicure and pedicure lined up in August. Let's just say my feet are in desperate need of TLC. This week's topic question: how annoying can a fly be? AHHHHH sweet and loving lord I'd like to embrace all living things but baby give me DEET. I'll add it to my list of wants: a toliet that flushes, sushi and clean cotton sheets.

Ok enough of that let's talk about the school. It's is moving along nicely. We have 40 girls here and 30 more on the way. They have begun lessons in English, Math, Leadership and Civic Engagement. This afternoon I'm going to do a workshop on role models and identity. There is a famous Dinka woman by the name of Alek Wek who is taking the world by storm. As Aduei would say, "black is in." I've planned what I hope is an engaging lesson highlighting the characteristics they have and ones they hope to gain. We'll see how it goes. My American accent makes them laugh so none the less they will be entertained.

Update on Bior:
After our journey to Juba/Bor and then his trek to Nimule he has decided to head back to the states early. I think he misses the lab ! ha...It really is another world here and it requires pateince, resiliency and every once in a while a good strong drink, preference a NILE (beer). I'm still having a hard time believing that we set a goal and reached it. We went to his village, we reunited him with aunts, uncles, cousins, childhood friends. We ate cow liver and I was the first white woman to sleep in their village. The range of emotions I've endured makes me appreciate the soul of humanity.
Ok I'm now going to try and upload some pics! Please if you're around write me how life is for you!! I can't get to email now....

Yin Ce Lec (Thank You!)

3 comments:

glenna said...

Annie, it's was so good to hear your "voice" from Africa. What a wonderful adventure you're having. Shelley and I had dinner tonight and thought of you. Love you. Glenna

Tricia said...

Hey Annie!! The blog is a great idea so we know you are safe. Please take care and continue to update us when you can.
Tricia

Laurie said...

Hi Annie~

Glad that you are able to attain your own personal goals as well as the groups.

Please be safe!

OX Laurie